24 October 2011

thought balloons - 25 things you didn't know about me


1.) I've lived here in Orlando more than half of my life. Never thought I would say that, but alas, it's true.  It's been an adventure, but it's time to move on. We are thinking of moving back to Ohio here in the next couple years. I know that sounds ludicrous as well, but our families are there, so it's almost a no brainer.


2.) I have a very sarcastic wit. Almost dry. Some people don't know what to think of what I say, so I try to keep the sarcasm to a face-to-face encounter, because otherwise, the message is all convoluted.

3.) I am the oldest of 4 children, and the only one that is right handed.

4.) I went to catholic school for 8 years. (that might explain the sarcasm? per chance?)

5.) I have to take a sedative when I go to the dentist for major work, like cavity fillings and crowns. really. otherwise I have nightmares the night before and I'm really *really* stressed about it. I'm also really uncomfortable in hospitals. Not that I have been a patient there much, but going to visit, or waiting with someone, I always make silly, stupid conversation to keep things light. Otherwise I just hate being there.

6.) I have traveled to Italy, England, France, Denmark, and Germany. I am totally in love with Europe and would love to live there one day. I speak fluent French.
me, Florence, Italy, circa 2000
 7.) I took ballet class for many years in my youth, and continued to do so in my 20's. Now, I was never very good at it, but I still have my flexibility, and doing ballet has helped me in my yoga practice. It's amazing how they are both so similar in form and function.

me at the dance studio where I took ballet class circa 1998
8.) My father died 11 years ago. I miss him every day.

Dad, 1999

9.) I can juggle. no, really!

10.) I am also very good at accents. British is by far the easiest and simplest to do. I can also imitate French, and Russian quite well. I always thought it would be fun to be a voice over artist. Hmmmm...

11.) I wanted to be a math teacher in my younger years. I still love teaching, doesn't matter what, and would be a professional student if someone else would pay for it. I'll study most anything, except science. I'm not good at that.

12.) I love spending time outdoors and have a decent sized container garden in the backyard. I'd love to have a window office, but for now, I'll have to suffice with going in my boss's office and looking out his window.

from last seasons garden
13.) I am an avid reader. I prefer the paper books to kindles any day. I like history, biography, history of theology, and books on animals.

14.) I have been a vegetarian since high school. I'm not one of these militant types though, that preaches about it to everyone. If you want to eat meat, that is your choice, I won't lecture you about it. This is a personal choice for me, I'm not trying to make a statement or anything. But ask me why, and I'll give you a myriad of reasons.

15.) I broke my right collar bone over 15 years ago playing raquetball. Yeah, I went to return a serve and slammed into the wall. (did I mention I'm not dainty either?) I thought maybe my shoulder had just popped out of the socket. Nope, full on break. So now when I go to do cow face pose in yoga, instead of my right arm going straight up behind my back for the pose, it kinda goes off to the left side. A bit uncomfortable. Who knew?

16.) My first car was an orange VW rabbit stick shift. I've been a fan of the stick shift ever since.

17.) I have 3 tattoos, only one you can see with my clothes on. I'm really interested in getting another. Just can't decide on exactly what.

18.) I've been told that I act like a know-it-all, when in fact I know I DON'T know it all. I know what I know, the other stuff I just bullshit. Oh, but I'm not a good liar. I turn red and start laughing if I try to lie. (all that catholic school maybe?) Although, I did graduate college with a 3.87 GPA. Not that I know everything or anything. I don't. really.

19.) I have 3 cats, one of which has 3 legs, and 2 dogs. and a man. which is like a child. So really, I'm a single parent.

Nate and Toby, our little boy. 

20.) I've worn corrective lenses since I was 5. I'm nearsighted. My dad kept thinking that I sat too close to the TV, and if I ate more carrots, my eyes would improve. Not a chance, Dad, just one of those things. He was always so distressed over having to buy me eye glasses every year before school started. I wear contacts now most of the time.

21.) I can sew my won clothes and have worn some of my creations.  I really like to make stuff, if you can't tell. It's so much fun to see something form out of a mess of stuff. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein sometimes. cool. But in a crafty, good way.

22.) I can do cartwheels, and round offs, and I like to hang by my knees from tree branches. I used to climb trees as a  kid. I was good at going up, not so good at coming down. I'm afraid of heights.

23.) Red is my favorite color.

24.) I am a child of the 80's and love/miss that new wave/punk music. Somafm has an underground 80's station that I listen to to reminisce. Ah, good times.

25.) I wear a size 8 shoe. and I go to bed around 830p every night. something about 8's. such a round, symmetrical number. I wish for you all a GR - 8 day.

6 comments:

Ryan Adair said...

I have so many things in common with you it's scary.


and, why would you ever leave the comfort of warm weather year round? I am so traumatized by the cold from living in Chicago for 4 years. But then again, I was raised in FL, so a fl girl in the cold is like a fish out of water.

and you have a g8 day too! :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Those are all GR8 things! Thanks for the little insight into you!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Catherine Ivins said...

we have so much in common, too

sarcastic oldest child, I even need a shot to get my teeth cleaned- would absolutely go to a sleeping dentist (well, as long as I was asleep and not the dentist) if I found a good one, I took ballet for years, my father died many years ago (more than 11) and I miss him everyday, love reading and the outdoors, broke my right collar bone (age 10 on a jungle gym), wear glasses, can do a cartwheel (I think- not sure if I have enough momentum for a roundoff anymore), love red and 80's punk/new wave and could sew my own clothes... in an end of the world- I absolutely have to type of situation.

loved learning more about you! xo

also I wear an 8 shoe, live in an 8 house and my birthdate adds up to an 8

Charlene said...

@Cat - how about that? Pretty cool. It's nice to find someone who understands the sarcasm. Although, it IS fun to mess with people that don't get it, amirite? I made a sarcastic comment to a coworker one day. He mentioned the sarcasm. I said it was one of my finer qualities ( again, being sarcastic.) He didn't get it.

Charlene said...

@Ryan - I'll tell you why I want to leave the warm, because I'm tired of sweating just standing outside for months on end. I'm tired of taking 3 showers a day 'cuz I stink from the sweat. I'd like to be able to breathe, and in this humidity, I can't. Don't get me wrong, I will miss the weather we are having now, but not the summers. Plus, I think I'm starting to hit perimenopause and this heat does NOT help.

Charlene said...

@Erin - thanks! You're always so sweet!