05 October 2011

just venting


A  S.A.D. time of year
I swear I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but only during the summer here in sunny F.L.A. I know that sounds *really* odd, but it’s the only thing I can attribute to how I feel here during the summer, and I know I’m not the only one. My beloved goes through the same feelings.
See, from May until September here, it is hot and damn humid (have I said that before?). It is so hot and damn humid that it is just downright UNCOMFORTABLE to go outside. You are hit by a sauna upon leaving a nice air conditioned building, and you sweat just standing still. And I don’t mean a little mist or glow of a sweat, I mean an outright, true to form sweat like you’re working an Alabama potato farm in the middle of July. I can’t breathe in this weather it is so stifling. I have to plan my day of when I can be outside, which is before 10am and after 7pm, which sucks big time. This means if I want/need to do any yardwork, I have to schedule it. If I want to take the dogs out for a walk or to the dog park, I need to schedule it. My laundry room is outside, so if I need to do laundry, I have to schedule it. I am SO TIRED of sweating when I go outside. I’m tired of having to take 3 showers a day because I sweat and stink just from walking to the end of the driveway. My northern relatives just don’t feel sorry for me. They say that this sweating makes up for it in our very temperate winters. A good point, but not sufficient. My northern relatives say they are tired of the winters lasting from November until April, with no idea of what the weather is going to be like from one day to the next sometimes. I say I’ll put up with that if I can breathe and not sweat everyday. The sun is wonderful, the greenery is wonderful, and the summer rains are so refreshing, don’t get me wrong. But the bugs, the heat, the humidity, the constant threat of hurricanes, flooding, and brush fires make it *almost* not worth it.

See, I am an outdoorsy, active girl. I like to be outside. If I could have my office outside or with large open windows, I would. If I could have a job where I worked part time outdoors and part time indoors, I would. (Actually, I need to look into that. Duh.) So being stuck inside, not being able to breathe is a big downer. Now I know that those up north say that they are stuck inside for part of the year too, but only because it’s so cold. Well, even though it’s cold, you can bundle up to look like the Michelin man and still go outside and breathe and not sweat to death or pass out from the heat. You can sip on hot chocolate or tea to keep warm. It’s so hot here that short of taking an ice bath, all I do to stay cool is not move. And I hate that.
Although, all this bitching may have to do with the fact that I swear I’m peri-menopausal and this heat doesn’t help that either.

Thankfully we have had a break in the weather as of this weekend. It’s like the universe knew it was October on the calendar and sent us some cooler temps. I actually had the windows open this weekend. It was so refreshing. See, when the weather breaks like this, it makes me feel more alive, more productive, more inclined to be active and do things that I normally *would* do, but don’t during the summer because it’s so damn hot and humid.
(for those of you thinking, “geez, all this bitching, why doesn’t she just move?” well, I’m working on that too. If the economy wasn’t so bad, I’d be out of here before next summer. Nevertheless, a move is in my plans.)

So for now, I’ll enjoy the cooler temps and enjoy being outdoors. Nothing is forever, right? 

Thanks for listening.

No comments: