26 August 2011

Shadowbox challenge reveal!

 Way back in July, Lorelei gave us a challenge: to make something FAB-O out of these shadowboxes by Sara Lukkonen of C Koop beads. These have some beautiful colors and you can do so much with them. I was lucky enough to be chosen as a participant for the challenge.  In fact, everyone listed here was lucky enough to be chosen as a participant:
11. Grubbi



 We've had about a month to prepare for our reveal date, and by gosh! It's here already! 
Et Voila! the big reveal!


My shadowbox had 2 holes on one side, and 1 hole on another. I used colored wire for accent, and silver beads to frame the blue ceramic bead in the center. The center bead is more sentimental than fancy, as this bead was part of the packaging to some handmade soap my beloved and I bought together, shortly after we started dating. I have kept it all this time, trying to figure out what to do with it. 
I used other large silver beads for accent, and hemp cording to tie it all together.

with a handmade copper hook and loop for the ends.

Don't forget to check out what everyone else made! This was a great project. I always like a challenge. A big thanks to Lorelei and Sara for making it happen.

26 comments:

LissC said...

This is so fun to see what everyone did! I never would have thought to fill it with a big bead. Looks great!

Regina said...

It's wonderful that you were able to showcase such a special bead in such a special way. Nicely done.

Lorelei Eurto said...

Love that hemp cording! Nice and earthy design and I like that you used a bead inside, so that it didn't cover up the color of the box. I really like the mix of metals used too! Nice job! Feel free to add your pics to the Flickr group I created for participants: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1740275@N20/pool/

steufel said...

Wow, cool! That is such a fun challenge - to see all the different ideas. I'm blown away!

Lois Moon said...

I love the mixed metals you used in this piece.

stacilouise said...

Very nice! I went with the circle in the box too!!!!

Elisabeth said...

Great shadow box - how sweet that the bead is something sentimental - something worth framing :-)

Heather Wynn Millican said...

Awwww,I love the sentiment. so very sweet.

Jo said...

What a lovely way of framing a special bead. It's great to see all the different ways you've used the boxes!

pinkchapeau said...

The ceramic bead is so pretty, looks perfect in the shadowbox! Great choice-love the use of the cord, too.

Jennifer said...

I love the blue of the ceramic bead contrasting with the orange reds of the enamel. Gorgeous combo!

Be safe when Irene arrives.

Shirley said...

I love the contrast between the bead and the shadowbox. The design is simple and clean, and perfectly showcases the beautiful shadowbox. Great job!

Pretty Things said...

I love the lime green you chose to wire it all together!

Holly said...

What a lovely piece! The sentimental ones are always the best :)

Shay Stone said...

What a great way to frame a very special bead!

sara said...

I like your design. You got one of the smaller boxes and made the most of it!

FryeStyle said...

I have sentimental treasures that I keep too. The best day ever is when it gets incorporated into a design. The wait is over! Now the bead has even more sentimental value! Red and turquoise is a great color combo!

fanciful devices said...

cute! nice colors, too. I wanna see the whole thing in a picture, tho - so i can see the whole effect. like, from further away. but maybe thats just me.

Jenni said...

Lovely design for a special bead..and the colors work so well too. Great project.
Jenni

Suzette said...

You did a great job with your box! I like how you incorporated the hemp cording.

Andrew Thornton said...

What a great story and a perfect way to capture that sentimental treasure. Very nice!

Lucid Moon Studio said...

That's cool that you found a way to showcase your sentimental bead! I like the use of the hemp cord as well. Great job!!

Sally Russick said...

I love how the blue of the ceramic bead set off the orange of the shadowbox! Beautiful!

Steph said...

I noticed the cording you used right away...loved that! And I'm so glad you were able to use a bead that has meaning to you.

Malin de Koning said...

That's a cool design!
:-)

TesoriTrovati said...

That is a special bead. Love the color and finish. It looks like even more of a work of art when it is framed this way. Lovely! Enjoy the day!
Erin